Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Queer Eye for the... Edmonton Guy?

The title isn't implicit, but it should captivate my thoughts for this post.

I do not know what it is like for minorities living in Edmonton today. I say this because I personally have never been a part of the minority (in my own consideration), and therefore would not know what it's like to experience life in this category. I do, however, have thoughts about that which can be elaborated on.

Minority groups feel entwined with Canadian culture, because they are a large part of our identity due to Canada adopting a "mosaic" ideology in establishing our national image. This would refer to racial groups, gay communities, religious organizations, or any other internal congregation/segregation within the country as well. It's basically futile to be intolerant to migrants or minority groups, because it's a common trend around the world that will swiftly be reversing in the next decade or two. It's obviously speculation at this point, but concluded upon by hard statistics, but for example: Indian migrants will be the majority in Australia by 2025 [Canada Updates], and even here in Canada, there was a report on CBC News some months ago that I cannot find the article for, but it projects that cities such as Toronto will be upwards of 67% non-white, and Calgary around 55% non-white, to name a couple, by 2025 as well.

I consider myself "Switzerland" when it comes to these affairs; neutral in everything. I'm not for minority groups, and at the same time I'm not against minority groups. My philosophy is rather simple. If I'm allowed to live my life freely, then so should you be. If anyone has done introductory philosophy, I'd say my views are similar to that what you'd find in Aristotle's Natural Law Theory. I think I can honestly say, though, that I've met people from all walks of life, from vastly different regions of the world, and I treat them just like I would anyone else: with respect. Margaret Atwood offers an effective summation to my thoughts on this:
I hope that people will finally come to realize that there is only one 'race' -- the human race -- and that we are all members of it.
If you don't like homosexuals, that's great. If you don't like non-Caucasian people, that's great also. Just keep it to yourself, and be respectful about it. We should all be entitled to our own opinion (which, thankfully we are here in Canada), but it's when people take it to the extreme that leads to hate crimes and unnecessary violence. We're all in this together, so let's make the best of it while we're here.

In regards to Edmonton, and to stay somewhat on track with the initial blog prompt, I don't think that minorities "own" any particular sectors or places within the city, although they do occupy certain spaces, and it shouldn't come as a shocker to anybody. It's just general knowledge amongst ourselves to realize this. If anybody knows Russell Peters, one of the famous (and absolutely hilarious) racial comedians of our day, he's not from Edmonton at all but even he referred to Millwood's for example as Brown Town at his show. Is this being racist? I wouldn't say so. It's just what seems noticeably obvious to us, and I'm sure similar names and divisions could be applied elsewhere in the city also. I think that as long as there are distinguishable variations between us (color, religion, values, etc.), we will continue to congregate with people and to areas that we can similarly relate to.

Cheers,
Patrick

4 comments:

  1. I love Russell Peters. I think he's funny, because he says things that most people wouldn't say for fear of being called racist. But I don't also don't think that makes him a racist. If anything I think his jokes bring us all together, because it seems like he picks on absolutely everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mention that it's okay to dislike groups of people as long as you're respectful to them regardless. This reminds me of several lectures I've heard about the word "tolerance" and how it has so many negative connotations, such as that you're just putting up with someone even though you really dislike them.

    Do you think there's a significant difference between tolerance and acceptance? Is tolerance still a good step to be made toward acceptance? Do we have any grounds for disliking minority groups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love Russel Peters too!

    It's interesting to see your take on this issue, specifically after I heard the comments of the British PM David Cameron who has criticized "multiculturalism" and "segregated" communities because Islamic extremism can thrive there (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/06/world/europe/06britain.html). So I guess, he wouldn't be cool with the idea of a Millwoods? Such comments, while they find receptive audience, ignore and twist realities. In Edmonton alone, I have come across the most rigid and intolerant individuals (Muslims and others) and met many queer Muslims, staunch secularists, and even species of Muslims known as 'atheist Muslims.'

    On the whole I stand with you, you don't have to (even if you could) agree with every one. Live and let live.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally down with respecting everybody. Like Cathryn, though, I worry a little bit about the limits of tolerance. True that you don't have to "like" everybody. But I wonder, do you have an obligation as a citizen to defend minorities? The reminder about our (everybody's) changing demographics is well made.

    ReplyDelete